Sunday, July 17, 2011

Why don't people date anymore?

About 10-20 years ago going on casual dates was more common, but in recent years there is no "dating process." From my experience asking someone out means that you want to have a serious relationship or something like that. I tend to look at dating as a chance to get to know someone that you could potentially have a relationship with i.e share similar interests are attracted to etc, and to see if they have similar feelings. In a nutshell, a date is almost like an informal "job interview" for lack of better word. I also don't see anything wrong with going on many dates with many different people IF YOU'RE SINGLE. I think it helps develop good communication skills in a relationship-like capacity. Here's a prime example: I asked a girl out to go on a nature photography hike, and then have a picnic at the end of it. I invited another couple I knew to join us so it could be really informal. She said no. But, it wasn't like I didn't know this girl. We had a lot of good conversation, and we seemed to have a lot in common. However, my view is that she interpreted my asking her out as a sign that I wanted her to be my girlfriend, which was an incorrect assumption. I just wanted to get to know her better, and see if I was really that interested in her...then maybe we would head in that direction. It was also kind of hurtful to infer that she had absolutely no interest in getting to know me better at all. Going on a date with someone is NOT a contract, contrary to popular belief. Nobody seems to think this way, and subsequently very few people casually date at all. In fact, the only dates I've ever been on, have either quickly resulted in a relationship that I didn't really want, or very angry girls thinking that I "led them on," when I told them that I really enjoyed our date, but that I was interested in seeing other people. People need to learn how to say what they mean, and not avoid uncomfortable confrontations. If someone asks you out, and they're a reasonable person, why not just go out with them, have a good time, get to know them, and if you have no romantic interests just say so. Why is so difficult for people to get this!!? I wonder if there are any sociological factors in our generation that influence this cultural manifestation? Any ideas? Thanks. This is so frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment